Monday, February 24, 2014

Music Monday: Humble


I believe music can be so powerful and transcending.
Audrey Assad's music, especially. 
She is one of my favorite singer/songwriters because her music is not surface level, but so much deeper. 
It's relaxing and moving, centered on God's loving and gracious character.

I have all of her albums, but her newest album, "Fortunate Fall" is by far my favorite. 
I can't necessarily say that today's song is my favorite from the album, because each song is wonderfully unique.
However, this song sheds light on one of God's most powerful characteristics to me.



Humble
Humble and human, willing to bend You are
Fashioned of flesh and the fire of life, You are
Not too proud to wear our skin
to know this weary world we’re in
Humble, humble Jesus

Humble in sorrow, You gladly carried Your cross
Never refusing Your life to the weakest of us
Not too proud to bear our sin
to feel this brokenness we’re in
Humble, humble Jesus

We bow our knees
We must decrease
You must increase
We lift You high

Humble in greatness, born in the likeness of man
Name above all names, holding our world in Your hands
Not too proud to dwell with us, to live in us, to die for us
Humble, humble Jesus

We lift You high
We lift You high


Jesus' humbleness amazes me. Gosh, I love every word of this song, but "humble in sorrow, You gladly carried Your cross. Never refusing Your life to the weakest of us. Not too proud to bear our sin, to feel this brokenness we're in" paints a beautiful picture. Even during the long trek up to Golgotha, with a heavy cross laying across His beaten and broken flesh, Jesus didn't act out of pride or put up a fight. He carried His cross with a humble attitude. He never said, "I'll die for you, but not for you." He said, "I give life to all, even the weak!" He was so humble that He took our sin and felt all the pain we've endured.

The chorus, "We bow our knees, we must decrease, You must increase. We lift you high" comes from John 3:30. John the Baptist was telling people about the coming Messiah and he ended his testimony with, "He must increase, I must decrease." John the Baptist was humbling himself before Christ. He was showing us to do the same. 

"Not to proud to dwell with us, to live in us, to die for us." Often, I focus on Jesus dying for us, but tend to forget that He also humbled himself by living here on earth and also in us
Think about that.
Wow.
Not only did He die for us, but He lives in us.
How humble.

He's the only person that had every right to say, "I don't need to carry this cross. I don't need to live among the poor and sick. I don't need to live in sinners." But if He had said that, He wouldn't have been the Son of God. 
How humble. 

That's just incredible to me that the one and only perfect person would die for me, an imperfect person, but not only that, live in me. Because He was humble, we should humble ourselves, as well. We humble ourselves to God and others...not feeling superior to anyone, but equal.

We have a lot to learn from Jesus, that's for sure.

What lyrics speak to you? Do you struggle with humbling yourself?

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Be blessed :)