Monday, January 13, 2014

see you in the light

Earlier, I went outside to sit on the deck and read. The sun was shining so bright in the house and I decided that some vitamin D might do me some good. 
Not to mention, the past few days have been gorgeous so why would I stay in the house?!

While I was reading, I got distracted by my engagement ring. 
The sun's rays were hitting it perfectly, making it shine and glimmer in the sunlight.
I love my ring. I think it is pretty all the time.
It's simple and delicate with a pearl enclosed by two tiny diamonds. 
In this moment, however, I couldn't take my eyes off of it.
Of course, this made me think.

When was the last time you looked at person and saw them in the light of Christ?
Do you tend to see people's flaws before you see their attributes?
Do you focus on the darkness of the heart or the lightness?

Even though I tend to be an optimist, I'll admit that there are times when I look at a person's flaws rather than their strong points.
I'm not proud to say it, but it's true.
Instead of zoning in on the imperfections, we should gaze on people through Christ's light.

We are all made in the image of God so why would we look at people in any other way.
Of course, we make mistakes and are imperfect, but we are all given strengths and talents.
When we start to observe people in the darkness of their weaknesses, we eliminate dignity and respect.
Jesus always treated people with respect. He looked at people with hope and saw them in the best light.
Why would we look at people any differently?

This year and all the years to come, let's see people for who they are and what they can be, instead of what they aren't. 
Let's behold people as Christ's light shines upon them, removing any imperfection and shining on their goodness. 

This week we are reading through the book of Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, and Nahum.


post signature




6 comments:

  1. Hi Chelsea,

    This was a pleasant post to stumble upon. I saw the link on a Facebook page that I keep meaning to leave.

    My thoughts about “seeing” have been similar, I suppose.
    Over the holidays I saw that “Walter Mitty” movie. It really emphasizes the importance of not just looking at something but of really seeing it; of not just being adventurous but of really treasuring the moments of beauty which exist in the more ordinary moments of life.

    It reminded me that sometimes what a person is asked to see – to really see – is him or herself; that sometimes a beauty can exist in a person which others see but which that person does not know as present in him or herself. It, then, reminded me of the importance of not simply “seeing” that beauty but also of acknowledging it in those I encounter.

    A quote. It is from Graham Greene’s “The Power and the Glory”:

    “When you visualized a man or woman carefully, you could always begin to feel pity – that was a quality God’s image carried with it. When you saw the lines at the corner of the eyes, the shape of the mouth, how the hair grew, it was impossible to hate”.

    I am not sure what to do with that word “pity”, but I do find insightful the larger reflection surrounding the transforming aspect of not just seeing but of really seeing.

    Thank you for yet another reminder.

    KW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly-thanks so much for stopping by! I loved everything you had to say!! I definitely agree...I feel like we get so caught up in the things going on in our lives that we don't really see. When we don't take the time to really see, how can we expect to find any beauty? What a great quote, too!!
    Thanks so much!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Be blessed :)