Thursday, February 21, 2013

A whole lot of offerings


So today's reading was Leviticus 5-7. Once again, a passage that would normally bore me was actually another eye opener. Yesterday I talked about the construction instructions for the tabernacle and today I read about many different offerings.

In this passage, God is telling Moses what the people should do when they sin. As I was reading, I was getting a little overwhelmed by all of the rules. It's basically a long to-do list. I was thinking that if I lived back then, there would be no way that I would be able to follow all those rules, much less remember them! I mean that's a lot of work to do when you mess up.

For instance...
"So it shall be when he becomes guilty in one of these, that he shall confess that in which he has sinned. He shall also bring his guilt offering to the Lord for his sin which he has committed, a female from he flock, a lamb or a goat as a sin offering. So the priest shall make atonement on his behalf for his sin. But if he cannot afford a lamb, then he shall bring to the Lord his guilt offering for that in which he has sinned, two turtledoves or two young pigeons, one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering..." Leviticus 5:5-7
Did you catch all that? 
Yeah, lets just say I was a little lost. 

From the sin offering to the burnt offering to the guilt offering to the grain offering...
that's a lot of different offerings to keep up with! Not to mention all the different animals.
While reading this long to-do list, a sense of thankfulness came over me.
Do you know why?

Because when I mess up, I don't have to go find two young pigeons and bring them to an altar and  wait for a priest to make atonement on my sin! 
Thank goodness because I don't know how I'd catch two pigeons! It sounds like a lot of work if you ask me.
Do you know why I don't have to do that?!

JESUS!
God sent His son, Jesus to be my sin offering.
I think God realized that it's hard for people to keep up with all these rules. Some of them probably didn't follow them or maybe they couldn't remember them,  like me. 
God was so gracious and merciful to send His son as a sacrifice.
We don't have to offer up different things like animals and grain to be forgiven of our sins, Jesus already took care of that on the cross.
Of course, when we sin we should confess to God and repent, but there's nothing else we can do that will make up for what we've done. 
Jesus is the answer. 

What's even better is that God didn't say, 
"Okay, I'm going to send my son, Jesus, only if you do this for me." 
There were no if's or but's about it.
He sent His son, Jesus, as a gift.
Meaning, He freely gives the gift not because we deserve it, but because He loves us.



Amazing.
 This passage full of laws reminded me how blessed I am to have received the gift of salvation through Jesus.
I didn't do anything to deserve it, but since I believe in the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ, I have received the gift of eternal life
It's not about works, unlike so many other religions, it's all about faith.
Ephesians 2:8-9 - For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

All I can say (and I hope you agree and will say with me)...
Thank you God, for sending your Son as a sacrifice for my sins. You didn't have to, but You did and I am so thankful. 

If you have questions about this precious gift or if you have any prayer requests, please email me!
post signature









5 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. I was having similar thoughts while reading the book of Numbers - so many little rules and procedures - but you make a good point about how Jesus' sacrifice on the cross has helped with that. I'm glad. I don't have the extra money to buy cows and sheep of certain ages for various offerings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you are so right- I totally agree! God made it easy on us by sending Jesus-so gracious! I hope you are doing well and having fun with your puppy! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Dogs and puppies make me wonder how anyone doubts God's existence.

      Delete
  2. I love that the Bible says that while we were sinners He sent His Son for us. He is amazing and so full of love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful post. I am reminded of how loved I am by Christ. He chose to leave the comforts of Heaven and suffer a horrible death just to save me from the penalty of sin which is eternal death. In return, I will strive to treasure His gift of salvation by drawing close to Him and following His will for my life.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Be blessed :)