Monday, October 15, 2012

Taking the dunk

So I've been praying about what I should blog about today and I finally figured it out (obviously haha). I only blog when I feel really led to write about something. Earlier I wasn't feeling tugged so I started reading other blogs and it hit me...the past 3 days there have been a lot of baptisms!
 
Baptism comes from the Greek word, baptisma which means washing. To Christians, it's more than just washing, it's a public display of how Jesus has washed your sins away and you are turning away from sin (repentance). Baptism doesn't save you, faith does, but it is important in our walk with God. You are giving your life to Jesus. You are trusting in Him. Because of His crucifixion and resurrection, you are saved from death and given eternal life! Romans 6:3-6 explains the importance of baptism very well..."Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his. For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin—"
In fact, it's more than just a public display or symbol of repentance...it is a command. Matthew 28:19 (aka The Great Commission) says, "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit." Notice those are red words in the Bible which means that's what Jesus said! He told his disciples this after He was raised from the dead. He wasn't just telling the disciples, but it's meant for every believer!
 
Saturday night at the worship service I went to, the pastor invited anyone who wanted to get baptized that night to come on down to the front. Let me tell you, I'm thinking there were at least 30 young adults...maybe closer to 50. I just know it was a lot for such a short amount of time! It was amazing!!  Yesterday at church, there were people getting baptized as well! Then today I was reading blogs and read about a mother who has 2 young daughters who got baptized yesterday too!
 
Getting baptized may seem intimidating, especially if you are getting dunked in front of hundreds of people, but it is such an awesome and rewarding thing to do, especially since Jesus calls us to do it! I'll never forget when my nieces and Goddaughter were baptized...it's such an amazing thing to experience. I even cry when I see strangers get baptized! There is so much power in it.
 
What is even cooler, is that Jesus not only calls us to do it, but He did it TOO! Luke 3:21-22 says, "When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as he was praying, heaven was opened and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.” Isn't that awesome?! I think so.
 
“We may never be martyrs but we can die to self, to sin, to the world, to our plans and ambitions. That is the significance of baptism; we died with Christ and rose to new life” ~ Vance Haver
 
Have you been baptized? If so, tell me about it...I'd love to hear!
 
If you believe in what Jesus has done for you and have not been baptized, I encourage you to really think about it...talk to your pastor or a mentor or even me! Remember Jesus, himself, said to get baptized...so just do it! :)
 
Today's scripture for the year long Bible plan is Matthew chapters 27 & 28.
 




 

8 comments:

  1. What perfect timing this post is, since my two girls were baptized in church yesterday! I love this quote: We may never be martyrs but we can die to self, to sin, to the world, to our plans and ambitions. That is the significance of baptism; we died with Christ and rose to new life” ~ Vance Haver. I'd love to frame that! This was a great post:)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks for stopping by, Kelli! Funny story-so like I said, I was praying about what to blog and the baptisms from this weekend really stuck in my mind and THEN I ran across your blog about your daughters' baptisms and I was like "Ahhh baptism! Again!" So you were part of my inspiration! Oh me too-I love that quote!! Thanks again for your kind words :)

      Delete
  2. Hi, I LOVE this blog!! It's perfect for me!! I just wanted to add or ask this. So would you say there is a "plan to salvation"? That there is not just one thing you have to do in order to be saved. There is a plan to follow and that baptism is a necessary part to that "plan"? And without it we are not saved because it was Gods command for us to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brittany- I'm sooo sorry it took me so long to reply! I was having computer issues :/ Thanks so much for stopping by..I'm glad you enjoyed it!! That means a lot :) You know I have tossed and turned about all the different doctrines of salvation and other topics. I firmly believe that there are no steps to salvation the only thing you have to do is believe that God sent His son, Jesus Christ, to die on the cross for everyone's sins and was raised 3 days later to show that death cannot win. Simply believe. In college, my college minister really pushed us to think about it and study. We studied the book of John (because it firmly states that it's purpose was to help people believe) and a book called "Confident in Christ" by Robert N. Wilkin. This is an awesome read...check it out! I think that when we believe in Him and His promises, we will do other things like baptism or communion, to show our belief. I always go back to John 3:16"...whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." It doesn't say baptized or confess, just believe. The other things are strongly encouraged to help our walk with Christ. I can tell you are definitely a thinker (not a bad thing, I am too hehee), but I know with me, when I start thinking, its really hard to stop and I realize that I focus so much on it, that I forget the main part, my relationship with Christ. That's when faith comes in. I just give it to God and say, "I don't know all the answers, I've studied Your word and I still don't understand, can you give me the peace to know that it's okay not to know everything?" When it comes down to it, there will always be different interpretations and opinions, and that's okay, but when we are so focused on rules or questions, we sometimes miss the point...just gotta have faith. Whew that was long, I apologize, but that's what I believe! Be blessed girl :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Chelsea, good post as always :-). I have nominated your blog for some blog awards. If you wish you can check it out at my blog. :-). Blessings to you today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the affirmation and the nomination!! I'm going to pay the award forward tomorrow :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks thanks again!! I am definitely a thinker... Lol I tend to get hung up on things! And I'm glad your response was lengthy.. It better explains! Thanks a million.... Great advice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely know what you mean about getting hung up on stuff! I just moved on from something and I feel so at peace haha! Its definitely good to have a hunger to study and learn more, but there comes a point where it's too much. I'm glad it helped! Thanks again for stopping by :) Have a great night!!

      Delete

I'm so glad you stopped by! I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Be blessed :)