Tuesday, October 23, 2012

He won me over...he stole my heart

In my post, Are you a fan of...?, I talked about how Jesus always had crowds gathered around him, but another thing that has stood out to me during my journey through the Bible in a year plan, was that Jesus never stopped. He never said, "Man, I need a vacation." He kept traveling to teach and to be in relationship with people. Like my Dad says, he "was on a mission". His mission was to win hearts...to win people over.

This makes me think of one of my favorite songs, "Won Me Over" by of course, the one and only, Audrey Assad.
 
"Was on the run, a road that I ruined,
chasing a lie I thought I believed in,
Don't know why I do what I do


Running from you, is running to you
You're everywhere... I couldn't escape
You never stop - you never do.

[chorus] I was full of fear and prone to wander,
lost & lonely till the day you won me over, you won me over
I was halfway gone and going nowhere
Half alive until the day you won me over, you won me over, over

I should have known what I was missing
If I were you, I would have stopped chasing
Your love's too strong to let me go.
[chorus x2]

I was halfway gone and going nowhere..."
 
 
Can you relate to that song? I know I can. I think we have all experienced a "full of fear, prone to wander, lost & lonely" time in our lives. You see, Jesus doesn't want us to fear or wander or be lost and lonely. When He was here on earth, His mission was to win those people over. Even though He may not be physically here now, His spirit is with us and still winning people over.
 
He doesn't win just church going people. He doesn't win just people who drive the speed limit. He wants to win everyone over. Whether you've done drugs, been to jail, turned your back on Him, He still wants to win you over. Even if you are running from Him, He is still there. Most of the times when we run from Him, we find Him. "Running from you, is running to you.You're everywhere... I couldn't escape You never stop - you never do." God is a pursuer. He is a chaser. He does not give up. That's not His style. Just like He was here on earth, He would not stop teaching and loving people.
 
I love the lyrics, "I was halfway gone and going nowhere. Half alive until the day you won me over." We may think a life of luxury makes us alive, but the truth is, it doesn't. When we let Him win us over, we become truly alive. A lot of times we run after things that cannot make us happy, the worldy things. God wants to give us true happiness. So if you haven't been "won over", stop and look around. He is trying to show you that He is there and He wants you. He wants you to notice that He is the only one who can give  you happiness and a purpose. You may have this "worldly" film over your eyes that makes it hard to see, but God has the ability to remove that film and show you what you've been missing.
 

"I should have known what I was missing. If I were you, I would have stopped chasing
Your love's too strong to let me go." Don't waste your time on things that can't win you over, let God win you over. Let Him steal your heart. You don't want to miss out.
 
Do you remember when God won you over? What did it take for you to realize that He was with you the whole time? Were you running from Him?
 Feel free to leave me a comment! I'd love to hear about how God won you over :)
 
post signature
P.S.- If you are reading along with me, today's scripture is Mark 14.
 
 
 















No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Be blessed :)