Thursday, August 30, 2012

What is my purpose?

The past week I have been trying my hardest to rest and be a good patient. So instead of just laying on the couch doing nothing, I decided to read. My mom lent me this book called, "Finding God's Will" by Pastor Gregg Matte and she thought I would love it. She was right! It's a short, easy read and it's jam packed with a lot of good information and advice on "finding God's will". I don't know about you or where you are in your life, but I'm not totally sure what God wants me to do with my life. Like I've said in previous posts, all my life I knew what I wanted to do as a career and now that I've graduated, I feel a little lost. Can you relate? Now just because you read the book doesn't mean that the minute you finish it, God will reveal His specific will for you. Maybe He will for you, who knows, but that's not what happened with me. We can't expect God to just drop a career or whatever in your lap, we have to do some work too. The first point in the book is "to find God's will, do God's will." Let's pause for a second- do you feel like you have a purpose in this world? Wait, let me answer it for you, OF COURSE YOU DO!!! God has a purpose for everyone! He doesn't have a purpose just for the wealthy or the goody-two-shoes, He has a purpose for a each and every person on this earth. Never doubt that truth. Jeremiah 29:11 says, "For I know the plans I have for you,' says the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." Pastor Gregg explains in the book that God has a general will and specific will. You wanna know what the general will is? It's simple....love God, love one another and share the good news about Jesus Christ. So if you feel totally lost right now, that's a good place to start. While loving others, seeking God and reading His Word, God will reveal to you His specific will for you. In the book he talks about a German proverb that goes like this..."Begin to weave, and God will give you the thread." He also says, "I believe that if we would simply walk with God in our ordinary routines, we would discover that He is present and waiting to show us His will." So no matter how old you are or what stage of life you are a in, know this....it's not too late to find God's will for you. The first step is to start living in His general will - love God, love others, and share with others the love of Christ. Before you say, "but", (I know I'm guilty of speaking that lovely word), ask God for strength, grace, and forgiveness to live in His will. Then try it out! How are you going to love someone today? Who will you share the good news with? 1 John 4:19 - We love because He first loved us. We'll talk about the "but" next time....Show some love today! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Be blessed :)