Friday, August 31, 2012

Success: it's what we all want, right?

Whew! I don't know about you, but this last week was crazy and long! We came back home from my monthly doctor's appointment, errands, trip to the ER, DIY project fever (thanks to Pinterest), sister's birthday party and much more, so in other words, I'm glad it's a new week! And what a better way to start the week off by making it to church, finally! There are many mornings when I just can't get out of bed because I'm hurting so much. In that situation, I watch church on the internet (gotta love technology!), but yesterday was different! I was up early and not as stiff as usual. I'm glad that churches now have online podcasts, but it's definitely not the same as being in church with a body of believers. Anyway, the sermon was so good that this post is going to be based around it. The sermon series the church is in right now, is titled "The Cardinal Rules of Success". Everyone wants success, right? I mean, I think it's part of being a human being to want success. In everything I do, I try to aim for success. Is there anything wrong with that? Welllll.....I think it depends on our definition of success. The world (and dictionary) tells us that success is defined by "the attainment of wealth, favor, or eminence." The media tells us that success is owning 5 different sports cars, owning a Fortune 500 business (or two), having your own reality tv show, earning a 4.0 GPA and so much more. Hmmm....according to the media, I am not successful at all! So I'm thinking something is wrong with this picture. Are all the things I listed, true proof of success? Well, Pastor Craig Reynolds doesn't think so. He said, "Real success is not about us, it's about Him. Real success is about being in His presence." I'm not bashing sports cars or owning a Fortune 500 business or reality tv shows, but I think it's important to think about the motive behind those three things. If the motive is to show off and make people jealous of you, I don't think that is success. Real success is when we glorify God. Whether it be praying with someone or moving across the world as a missionary, we can glorify God through the little and big things in our lives. When we are in God's presence, we are blessed. When we focus on Him and not on ourselves, we are blessed with attributes like gentleness, kindness, love, patience, wisdom, strength, comfort and the list goes on. I don't know of any sports cars or reality shows that gives all of that. If you do, let me know, but good luck finding it! Pastor Craig also said, "It's about who He is and His will....if we focus on ourselves, we won't be able to find His purpose." So not only do you get all of those attributes when you focus on God, but you also find the purpose of your life! I don't know what could be more successful than that! So think about how you can be successful this week. Don't worry about attempting to get your own reality tv show or 5 sports cars...you can be much more successful...and it doesn't even involve money! Sign me up! :) Romans 12:2- "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is —his good, pleasing and perfect will." Be blessed today! Oh, if you started back to school today (whether student or as staff), I hope you have a great & successful school year (it's a great mission field)! I would attach the podcast for the sermon yesterday, but it's not up yet. If you would like, you could look occasionally on http://www.second.org/North.aspx. Also, there was a lot more to this sermon, but I'll write more about that later :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Be blessed :)