Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Rest...cure all for everyone

So last week I went to my monthly doctor's appointment. My doctor is very funny and usually always happy, but this appointment was a little different. He was funny and happy until I listed off all of things I have done the past few weeks. Once I had finished explaining my obligations and my wish for a normal summer, he quickly reminded that I have Lyme Disease and can't be normal at the moment. He was not happy that I had been so busy. Unfortunately, because I have been so busy this past month, my health has suffered. Now we are backtracking on treatment which I was not happy about. Anyway, his advice and demand was that I rest so that I will get better faster. I agree with this advice and believe that rest is important, but I hate laying around all the time. With support of my adamant doctor, family, and friends, my goal of the month is to rest. So where am I going with this? Well, I don't think I'm the only one who needs rest. Even if you don't have health issues like me, I feel that everyone could benefit from just resting. However, these days it's really hard to rest when our schedules are jam packed with things to do. We are so focused on getting things done that we forget one of the most important things...rest. Jesus said (Matthew 11:28 NIV), "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." It's important for us to step away from our hectic lives and just rest so that we may be rejuvenated to the face our next busy day. Resting can be different for people. How do you rest? Maybe your rest is gardening or reading a book in bed or napping! Reading the Bible could even be your rest. Whatever it may be, try being proactive and setting aside 15 minutes a day to just rest. If I'm not resting by laying down, I like to rest on my deck. There I can clear my mind and focus on what the promises that God has given me. So my challenge for you AND me, is to rest every day. We can't miss the fact that true rest only comes from God. One of my favorite singers is Audrey Assad. She sings a song called, "Restless". The chorus goes like this..."And I'm restless, I'm restless, 'Til I rest in You, 'til I rest in You...I wanna rest in You." We may feel rested after a long nap, but we don't find true rest until we seek God and all His promises for us. It can be tough to step away from our hectic lives, but it's definitely worth it! It can help physically, but also spiritually. So go get some rest, I know I'm going to! Be blessed today! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Be blessed :)