Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Making a List

I'm not sure about you, but I like to make lists. I make to-do lists, grocery lists, medicine lists, and even lists to remind myself what to talk about (gotta love that Lyme brain haha)! Sometimes I even make lists in my head about all the things that I've failed at, things that I need/want and a list of my flaws. All these lists can be overwhelming and even degrading. They certainly aren't real encouraging. Unfortunately, the world motivates us to make lists like this, but doesn't motivate us to make lists of the good things. Since when was the list time you made a list of all the things you have gotten DONE? Or a list of all the food you have in the pantry? A list of all your skills and abilities instead of imperfections? What about a list of all the things you are blessed with? I know I hardly ever make lists like the ones I just mentioned. This past Thanksgiving I wrote down something I was thankful for everyday, and I believe it really helped my attitude. I'm beginning to think I shouldn't only do that around Thanksgiving, but throughout the whole year! Although I may not be the healthiest, richest person in the world, I know the God has blessed me with so many things that I could think of something I'm thankful for everyday for many, many years to come. It may be difficult at times because we are so trained to think about what we don't have instead of what we have, but I know it's possible. Little things that I take for granted like running water or a roof over my head often don't make my thankfulness list, but I think they should! In the Bible, 1 Thessalonians 5:18 says, "in everything give thanks, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." So instead of letting a list overwhelm us with not-so-good feelings, why don't we make a list that overwhelms us with thankfulness and gratitude! Feel blessed today (because you are!) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Be blessed :)