Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Living the Free Life

Today is Memorial Day...a day to remember the lives that have been taken in service to our country. It is also a day to remember the freedom that we have be given through the dedication of men and women in our military branches. It is a day to recognize the sacrifice these people have so willingly given. Sadly, I think we often forget the sacrifice of Jesus. Memorial Day is a wonderful holiday that I totally respect. I think it is vital that we remember the people who have fought for our country. However, if it wasn't for Jesus Christ we wouldn't ultimately be set free. Yes, we are free to do many things in our country (which is awesome!), but Jesus is really our true source of freedom. I, myself, often forget this truth. At Easter time I think about it a lot, but after I tend to let it slip from my mind, which is not good. Ephesians 1:7 says, "He is so rich in kindness and grace that He purchased our freedom with the blood of His son and forgave our sins." I should always recognize the fact that Jesus was the ULTIMATE sacrfice. He was perfect, while I am not. He died on the cross for MY (and your's too) sins, while I am alive. He reigns forever, while even though I don't deserve eternal life, He gives it to me anyway! I believe all of this, but at times it seems almost too much to wrap my mind around. How could He do that? The answer...because He is love, TRUE love. Now this freedom found in God doesn't mean that I can go around and do whatever I want. He doesn't want us to live in a box and do nothing. He wants us to be bold and get out there and "love one another" despite color, actions, or judgment. Because He has given me this freedom, forgivness, and sacrifice, I should live in a way that pleases Him. Yes, I am human so I'm going to mess up a time or two (well, actually a lot more), but I should try my hardest to live a life pleasing to Him. Jesus sacrificed his life for me, so I should act like He did. 1 Corinthians 8: 9, "Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak." So this Memorial Day (and everyday) remember the sacrifice that Jesus gave for You. Live like you were there that day He hung on the cross. Praise like you were there that day when He had rose from the grave. Hold it close to your heart. May it be motivation for you to live a free life of pleasing Him. Also, pray for our country's leaders, families, and people who are serving our country. Happy Memorial Day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Be blessed :)