Friday, August 31, 2012

Drifting away? Feeling lost?

So today, me, my mom, and my two oldest neices went to see ICE AGE: Continental Drift. It was pretty cute and witty. It even inspired me to blog! If you haven't seen it and don't want to know how it ends, STOP reading, right now! Spoiler alert! If you haven't seen any of the Ice Age movies, there are a few reoccuring themes of searching, getting lost, and facing many roadblocks. Can you relate to that? I know I can! Throughout all of the Ice Age movies, the character, Scrat, is on the pursuit of holding onto this beloved acorn and finding more. He focuses so hard on this acorn that he loses sight of everything around him. In fact, in Ice Age: Continental Drift, his acorn causes the upheaval of Pangea's split. Throughout his search for more acorns, he is completely oblivious to all the havoc around him. Not only is Scrat involved, but many other characters such as Manny, Ellie, Peaches, Sid, and more. They are all separated because of Scrat's tunnel vision of acorns. The movie is about these characters getting separated from each other, being lost, and finding each other once and for all....at least I think so, unless there is going to be an Ice Age 5. Anyway, Scrat finds the skeleton of the acorn and gets upset because it is not whole. Soon he realizes there is a map inside of it that is the guide to the acorn heaven. He follows the map and soon finds a palace of acorns. Scrat is in heaven! So you may be thinking, "how in the world would you be inspired by a kid movie?" Well, with me, anything is possible (haha)! So the lightbulb turned on while I was sitting in the movie theater...we can be a lot like silly, lil Scrat. Is there something that you focus on so much that makes you lose sight of everything else? Is that object all that matters to you? Would you do anything and everything to find it and keep it? Well, how's it working for you? I know when I set my sight on something other than God, I can feel lost and all over the place. I don't know about you, but that is not a fun feeling! Hebrews 12:1 says, "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." When Scrat found his map, he knew where to go and how to get there. Once he got there, he found more than he could ever imagine. So when we let go of the things that keep us distracted from God and allow God to guide us, we will find more than we can imagine. Yes, it may be hard to let go of that object or relationship or habit, but it is worth it. God will guide us in His will and lead us to what is best. For Scrat, it was a heaven filled with acorns, but for us right now, it can be peace or joy. However, the best part is the very ending....being in heaven! So if you're holding onto something that is being a wedge between you and God, think about laying it down. Luke 9:23-24 says, "Then He said to them all, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it." So lay it down & trust God's map for you! One of my favorite songs is "Lay Em Down" by NEEDTOBREATHE...check it out! <3 Peace :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Be blessed :)