Thursday, August 30, 2012

A Bit of Heaven on Earth

I was watching the opening ceremony last night and obviously, it inspired me to write even though I just wrote yesterday! I'm on a roll! First of all, if you don't know me, let me let you in on a secret...I'm a tad bit sentimental. So bare with me if what I'm about to write seems a little far fetched or silly or emotional, but it just popped into my mind! I'm not going to critique the ceremony or talk about the funny moments of Mr. Bean or the queen and James Bond (even though it was pretty entertaining), but I'm going to talk about the hope I found in the ceremony. You may be wondering, "What hope? The hope that team USA is going to win? The hope that the media is finally going to stop talking about Ralph Lauren's opening ceremony outfits?" Nope, I'm not going to talk about either. So enough with all this chit chat, let me get to the point. I had a glimpse of heaven while I was watching the ceremony. No, I don't think heaven is going to look like London, however, you never know! What made me think of heaven was when I saw the flags from the different countries on the hill surrounding the tree, the eight people carrying the olympic flag, and the thousands of excited athletes. All these people from around the world have finally arrived to this one place after four years (or more) of intense training to practice their skills and abilities. Aside from the competition aspect, I saw heaven in the faces of the ecstatic people. I saw heaven in the dancing. I saw heaven in the music. I saw heaven in the community. I saw heaven in the excitement from around the world. Everyone is talking about the olympics. It's one of the few times that the whole world comes together for a positive reason. The fact that 204 countries, 10, 902 athletes and billions of people watching the events are all involved together blows me away. It reminds me of heaven because all people of different cultures and walks of life will meet together for one reason....belief in Christ Jesus for their salvation. Revelation 15:4 says, "'Who will not fear, O Lord, and glorify Your name? For You alone are holy; For ALL THE NATIONS WILL COME AND WORSHIP BEFORE YOU, FOR YOUR RIGHTEOUS ACTS HAVE BEEN REVEALED.'" Just like the excited athletes, everyone in heaven will be more than excited. Who wouldn't be excited about no pain, no tears, no war, no sorrow (the list goes on)? Revelation 7:16-17 says, "They will hunger no longer, nor thirst anymore; nor will the sun beat down on them,nor any heat; for the Lamb in the center of the throne will be their shepherd, and will guide them to springs of the water of life; and God will wipe every tear from their eyes." Not to mention, we as a body of believers, will be reunited with Jesus. I don't know about you, but it sounds like a party to me! So we should be inviting people to this party. Matthew 28:19-20, also known as the Great Commision, says, "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Now I'm not saying the olympics are heaven, all I'm saying is that it was a good reminder of what heaven will be like. So what does heaven look like to you? Who are you going to invite to the biggest party of all ages?! Be blessed! Enjoy the olympics :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Be blessed :)